HUE is one of the major color attributes Colorographies illustrate for you. You can tell what hue family a color belongs to just by looking at where it plots out on The Color Strategist Color Wheel.
Hue Family is not the same as “undertones”.
- Hue Family is determined by measuring the color under a controlled light source called D65. D65 mimics noontime sunlight.
- The result of measuring color using a standard illuminant like D65 is objective color data values and notations.
- The Hue, Value, Chroma, LRV color notation is what you see illustrated on each Colorography.
- Notations are scientific, objective, consistent, and repeatable.
Whereas undertones (as most people attempt to apply the theory to specifying colors) is just somebody’s best guess about what a color looks like under whatever random light source they happen to be looking at it under. Not consistent. Not objective. Not science-based. Not repeatable.
Here’s how Colorography works:
- Looking for a color? Simply do a search in the Colorography Lab. Link to Colorography Lab
- The Color Strategist Color Wheel™ illustrates what hue family the color belongs to.
- Value is about lightness and darkness. It tells you how bright/dark | light/dark a color looks.
- Chroma is about vividness and dullness. It tells you how chromatic/grayed a color is.
- Light Reflectance Value (LRV) is about luminance. It tells you how much light a color reflects and conversely how much it absorbs.
This info comes from professional color measurements.
Think of it as color DNA or a color’s fingerprint.
Look for the #colorographylab hashtag on Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter and LinkedIN.
CONTEXT, CONTEXT, CONTEXT!
Here’s Balboa Mist OC-27 by Benjamin Moore in context of its Hue Family neighborhood, 2 Y, on The Color Strategist Color Wheel. The pink arrows point to where Balboa Mist OC-27 fits in among the other colors according to its Value 8.40 (rounded to 8.38) and Chroma of 0.62 rounded to 0.75.
Don’t Miss Out!
Get on my VIP list now. I’ll send you updates on new blog posts and alerts about FREE webinars and online training offers from Camp Chroma.
Colorography™ brings clarity to color by blurring boundaries between the art and science of color.
Using quick, at-a-glance infographics, you understand everything you need to know about a paint color including hue family, value, chroma, overtones and LRV.